Friday, January 30, 2004

"Agassi: He plays, he scores, he conquers" Sort of!
I was flipping through the TV channels last night after dinner.
In search of something to watch after the evening news.
I chanced upon the Solar Sports channel.
I didn't even know this channel existed.
They were broadcasting the Australian Open.
The semi final tennis match between Marat Safin & Andre Agassi.
It was just the beginning of the first set so I said ok what the heck.
I love watching tennis.

I played tennis for a few months in Dubai.
No formal lessons.
I would tag along with my friends, Ruby, Marian & Carol.
We would go to Safa Park on Tuesdays.
Al Nasr Leisureland on Wednesdays.
Somewhere behind Port Rashid on Fridays.
We even watched the Dubai Open tournament at the Aviation Club.
They encouraged me to try it.
They even gave me a tennis racket for my birthday.
It was fun while it lasted. Then summer came and I quit.
Summers in Dubai is like living in hell.
The humidity level is suffocating especially in the evenings.
I told myself ... Geez I'm not going to kill myself playing tennis.

Back to the Safin vs Agassi match.
Agassi, by the way, reminds me so much of my immediate ex bf.
In terms of his features not his tennis skills.
I don't think Wajdi could play tennis even if his life depended on it.
The 6'4 Russian defeated the defending champion in a stunning five set victory. But I read that online at the official website of the tournament.
By the third set of the game, I couldn't keep my eyes open so I went to bed.
It was way past my self imposed bed time.

No comments: