Sunday, June 20, 2004

Happy Father's Day
In honor of this special day, I've decided to take a trip down memory lane.
A tribute to all the guys I liked/loved/lusted for.
I just felt like remembering them.
Whether they are already fathers now or not.

  • First stop. New Delhi India. Circa mid 70s.
    R was 6. I was 5. Closely knitted Filipino community. Kids of the same age all paired together.
  • Next city. Brussels Belgium. Early 80s.
    J was a freckled, red haired 14 year old boy. He tutored me in French. A really reliable classmate.
  • B had the bluest eyes, dirty blonde hair. An athlete but not a jock. He was my first boyfriend. He was 16. I was 12. We were inseparable.
  • Then it was time to head back home. A major culture shock for me. I didn't speak the language. I was the odd one out. So I only had crushes on guys who barely knew I existed. Both B & C were chinito eyed. Average looking guys, not too bright but hey I didn't know any better.
  • Singapore guys didn't turned me on at all. Besides I was too busy working my ass off. Trying to establish a career in a city where I received the most number of employment rejection letters in my life.
  • Dubai was the city where I more than made up for lost time. I had poise and I had more confidence in myself. I learned the art of manipulation. I mastered the tricks of dating. I partied hard. I was out to have fun. And I did.

  • The common points among them is that:
    They were guys I KNEW I'll never marry
    Most were long distance relationships
    They all had different nationalities
    I never cheated on them
    They never lasted beyond 2 years
  • DALS was a tall, dark and handsome Omani guy. He worked at Seeb airport, played for the national soccer team. He was my 'first'. A gentle giant with a heart of gold!
  • Sleepless in SFO was Fil-Am, divorced, worked for the technical department of United Airlines. A father of 3 kids. He flew 16 hours to Singapore to be with me when I was on vacation there for 4 months to visit my sister. He ended up falling for my sister. That was disgusting. Unforgivable.
  • The researcher was an Egyptian expat, 5 years younger than me. But far more mature for his age, basically a goofy guy. He was my best male friend in Dubai. He taught me everything I needed to know. If it weren't for him. I believe I would have gone crazy.
  • Lightsman would drive 3 hours from Muscat every weekend in his green leather interiored beemer. Just to spend time with me. He was an impeccable dresser, witty and we would argue about politics, religion and current events.
  • The Engineer was the most romantic. He worked for an oil company in Bahrain, was separated and had 2 grown kids. He would call me 3 times daily, send me roses and we had really mushy romantic dates.
  • Mr Palestine 4ever was/is the love of my life. We watched movies, eat out and just talk endlessly on the phone. Always joking around, fun loving guy who actually had the weight of the world on his shoulders. But he never gave up on his dreams despite the struggles. A kind hearted soul. He was the best friend of my 'sis' Donna's husband. The four of us had really wild times together. We made plans for our future, we even picked out names for our kids and which brand of diapers to buy.
  • But fate intervened. It was time for me to head back home for good upon my father's retirement. Our plans and dreams faded away. I chose to stay with my family rather than be on my own with him.
  • As it happens, I met Big boned during the flight going to Manila via Singapore. He is tall, fair skinned and handsome in his own way. Of Syrian/Lebanese descent from a military family. He was my anchor when I needed someone to steady me while I was re-settling in. He doesn't talk much and we had these 'comfortable silence' moments. Until I realized they weren't so comfy anymore. So I ended it about 4 months ago.


  • Once upon a time I was falling in love
    But now I'm only falling apart
    There's nothing I can do
    A total eclipse of the heart
    Once upon a time there was light in my life
    But now there's only love in the dark
    Nothing I can say
    A total eclipse of the heart


    Nowadays I am blissfully single. Yet still a hopeless romantic who believes in true love!!!

    No comments: