Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Weekend Recap
It has always been a tradition for my family to visit our dead relatives.
One day before All Souls' Day. (November 1)
But this year we started on October 30.
We drove all the way to Cavite for my father's side of the family.
Whole bunch of relatives I haven't seen in ages, of all shapes, sizes and ages congregate at the ancestral house.
The food is delicious but it's the endless conversations and catching up with each other that really makes the trip worthwhile.
Even if it means I'm asked the 64M dollar question "When are you getting married?" endlessly.
Never mind the fact that I'm not really seeing anyone right now.
They make it sound like it is a matter of national interest.

Sunday - it was back to Manila to visit the graves of my maternal grandparents in Sucat, an uncle in San Juan and more maternal relatives in Mandaluyong.
Hot, humid and I notice I've grown darker from staying out in the sun the whole day.
But it's only once a year and I really enjoy these sort of 'visits'.
My only lament is that people don't pay their respects to their beloved dead relatives religiously nowadays.
It is heartbreaking to see tombstones without any candles or flowers.
But hey I guess some people have better things to do .... like frolic in beaches, attend Halloween parties or get drunk at Octoberfest parties.
Yes I know I can be a prude sometimes ... or is it most of the time?
No! Don't answer that!

No comments: