Thursday, July 27, 2006

A disturbing incident
The other day, (Tuesday) my sister and I decided to finally watch the Pirates of the Caribbean movie at the Shang Cineplex. We have this really bad habit to always rush at the last minute. The film was at 3:40 pm. My sister was still parking the car at 3:30 pm. I decided to saunter ahead to buy the tickets and popcorn.
My sister caught up with me at the snack bar and innocently pointed out a couple who were having a fight. While waiting for my order of BBQ popcorn and iced tea, I glanced towards the couple, who seem to me to be in their mid 40s.
I witnessed the guy slapping his wife (I assume she was his spouse) several times. The poor woman starting crying, silently. You can just see the tears flowing down her face. They were huddled in a corner, not drawing attention to themselves. With tears flowing, she kept arguing with gestures when suddenly her husband hits her on the head with a bottle of mineral water. It was a very disturbing scene.
I don't think anyone else witnessed the incident. My sister only noticed it because she overheard the guy berating the woman.
I am definitely not a nosey person nor do I think it is my business to butt into other people's lives. So I refrained myself from asking her if she was alright. She was also using the ladies room after the movie ended. Yes, it just so happens that they also watched Johnny Depp swaggering about as Captain Jack Sparrow. Although, she had a calmer demeanor. No trace that earlier she had been physically abused by someone.
This is the first time I've witnessed such an incident in public. It is certainly not my place to judge them. But I know that if it was me in her situation, I would have stormed out. I just hope for her sake, it was an isolated case. But if they were so bold as to argue in public, I dread to think what she experiences in the privacy of their home. Perhaps, even on a daily basis.

*Shudders*

No comments: