Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Beware: Scrooge Alert!

Amidst everything that has been going on these past few months - running around watching foreign movies at several film festivals, getting sick with stomach flu, a nasty cold and the complete repainting of my loft - I totally forgot that Christmas is just around the corner. Geez! It only occurred to me last night after Mel Tiangco and Mike Enriquez announced that there are only 27 days to go before Christmas.

Well not that it matters because I am not really a Christmas-y person. I don't go shopping for gifts, I don't have Yuletide parties to attend nor grand family reunions to gate crash. I am still a bit hesitant to put up the few Christmas trinkets in this place because it might scratch the newly painted surface. Besides with all the mess still laying around, I'm not exactly sure where the box marked "Decors" is. Therefore my only task would be to buy some food items, hear midnight Mass on Christmas eve, head off to my parents place, send SMS greetings to my friends/relatives, have Noche Buena then I would probably just sleep the whole day. Boring, no?

But I live in a nation where malls are adorned with Christmas decors as early as September, where you hear Christmas carols on the radio in October, where family reunions are prevalent, where malls are crowded with the presence of visiting balikbayans and OFWs, where the streets leading to the malls are obstructed with horrendous traffic jams - all in the spirit of celebrating a season that sadly is now equated with materialistic extravaganza and wasteful indulgences.

So yes I feel like AM a Scrooge but what the heck?
I can't change the way I am, can I? :D

No comments: