Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Field Trip (kuno)

The usual SOP for my past birthdays was to have lunch, watch a movie followed by dinner then partaking of any cake to cap the day. This year I wanted to deviate from the norm.

I wanted to explore Fort Santiago.

marker

Funny idea I know. But ever since my sister told me that it has been renovated and made more appealing to draw in tourists, I was curious about the place. The last time I went there was ages ago. I was merely 4 years old and my sister was still wearing diapers. I don't recall it at all but my parents would recount with fondness our pasyalan there after hearing mass at the Manila Cathedral. So after that filling lunch at Shanghai Bistro, we headed to Intramuros for our field trip! :D

The Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe

Rizal monument

Park

Archway

The Dungeons

We explored every nook and cranny of Fort Santiago. From the shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe, the dungeons, the Park and the fountains. We also walked on those brass footsteps which traces the path Rizal took from Fort Santiago where he was detained all the way to the now Luneta Park where he was executed by firing squad.

Fountain

Ruins

Almacenes Reales

The most interesting part for me was at the Rizal Shrine. A three storey building which encloses his clothes, his writings, his detention cell, his sculpture pieces, pictures of his family as well as his urn. I learned more tidbits about our national hero from my dear husband who teaches "Buhay, Gawain at Kaisipan ni Rizal" at the university.

Rizal Shrine

Mr and Mrs Fr@nco goofying around

So even if I sweated enough perspiration to flood a small African village and my feet were aching from walking all over Fort Santiago, it was worth it. I had so much fun reliving a part of my past as well as exploring an important landmark, a testimony to our rich cultural and historical heritage.

By the way, entrance fee to Fort Santiago is P50 per person. But by November 1, they will be charging P75. Do wear comfortable shoes and please watch out for horse excrement while walking around the park area!

No comments: