Saturday, April 10, 2010

There are places I remember

In my 4 decades on this planet, I've lived in 5 different countries. Each stay ranging between 2 to 6 years. Our rented houses ranged from bungalows, apartments to condominium dwellings. I remember in Brussels we called a 2 bedroom flat located on the 2nd floor our home for almost 3 years. The flat was average size with an airy feeling due to the high ceilings. The building was a dark hue of orange bricks with a creaky elevator. In the lower ground, there was a bodega area with good Basement waterproofing where each tenant could store their 'extra' pieces of furniture.

Our apartment was located on a wide avenue lined with trees and electric trams would roll by in the middle of the street. Although it was only on the 2nd floor it had a clear view of adjacent streets and a nearby university. Little establishments like bakery, pharmacy and curio shops added much character to the place. It was also about 2 blocks away from the elementary school where my sister and I acquired knowledge.

In 2001, my sister and I were able to re-visit Brussels for a few days. Our list of places to visit in Brussels included our former apartment/flat. It was so nostalgic for us to walk down familiar haunts. Although there were more shops, the quaintness of the area was still intact. In fact our former place still had the same dark orange color just like we remembered it. Needless to say, that visit was one of the many highlights of our European trip! =)

No comments: