Thursday, March 24, 2011

When I was small

New Delhi, India was my father's first assignment overseas. He went ahead to set up things while my mother, my sister and I were left behind to tie up loose ends. Our house was a spacious bungalow made of red bricks. It had 3 bedrooms, a dining room, a living room, an attic with a maid's room and an open roof top where we aired our laundry.

We had a chunky living room set which was nicely upholstered with emerald green (green is my mother's fave color) cushions. Dining Room Furniture consisted of a big oval shaped dining table and 6 chairs. Plus a high chair for my sister who was just a baby back then.

I have fond memories of that house which was located in a tree lined street that was also known as diplomatic row. I was go to the park across our street and play. I would ride my tiny red bicycle around the block. Until I got bitten by a puppy and that saw the end of my bicycle riding days as well as instilled in me a huge phobia of dogs. So I get really terrified when I walk the streets in this neighborhood as there are many stray dogs loitering around. Yikes.

Anyhow back to the house, there was also a wide porch area where my mother tended a little garden. She planted roses, daisies and sampaguitas and they would bloom quite beautifully enhancing the facade of our brick house.



Here we are in matching flaming red corduroy pants with my father looking slick in his cashmere suit. I guess this was taken one winter day, decades ago.

No comments: