Sunday, April 03, 2011

The world cannot be wrong.
If in this world, there is YOU

This week, I feature the songs of Engelbert Humperdinck. The Anglo Indian singer who is known for melodic ballads like "Release Me", "After the Lovin'", "Am I that easy to forget", "A Man without Love", "The Last Waltz".

I almost had the chance to watch him in concert when he performed here sometime in I believe 2007 on Valentine's Day. But I chose to just buy concert tickets for my parents as their wedding anniversary gift. They went, were awed by his voice and totally enjoyed themselves.

After all, their theme song is sang by Engelbert Humperdinck. Well, he has a version of the song which was originally recorded in 1967 by Petula Clark. The lyrics were written by the great genius Charlie Chaplin for his movie, "A Countess from Hong Kong" which he also directed.

The lyrics are hauntingly beautiful and yes quite mushy. Perfect for a theme song, right?

This is my Song

Why is my heart so light?
Why are the stars so bright?
Why is the sky so blue
Since the hour I met you?

Flowers are smiling bright,
Smiling for our delight,
Smiling so tenderly
For all the world, you and me

I know why the world is smiling,
Smiling so tenderly
It hears the same old story
Through all eternity

Love, this is my song
Here is a song, a serenade to you
The world cannot be wrong
If in this world, there is you

I care not what the world may say
Without your love, there is no day
So, love, this is my song
Here is a song, a serenade to you

No comments: