The last time we went to Ocean Park in Hong Kong, my parents were still alive. I believe it was sometime in 2009 or 2010, yes that long ago.
On the eve of my flight (February 9, 2025) back home to face major uncertainty in my married life, sister dearest and I decided to return to Ocean Park to enjoy the cool February weather in Hong Kong and clear the cobwebs from my mind and try to boost my spirits from dealing with the lowest point of my life.There is now a MRT line that goes straight to the Ocean Park, making it very accessible for visitors. For some reason, it seems smaller than I remembered. The first time we went there it seemed like we walked for miles and miles just to get to the different attractions. Maybe this time around, we did not go to all the attractions, merely the 'cute' ones. Or dare I say the ones which our 50 year old selves could manage without toppling over from exhaustion. LOLThe Ocean Park Hong Kong houses several giant pandas, notably the first locally born giant panda twins Jia Jia and De De who were born in August 2024.The baby pandas have their own enclosure which unfortunately just closed for the day, a few minutes when we got there.
Their parents Ying Ying and Le Le were gifted to Hong Kong by China.
An An and Ke Ke are the names of the other pandas also living in the park.
| I believe this is An An but I may be wrong. |
| You cannot really tell pandas apart, can you? |
After the pandas, we took the cable car to reach the summit where we watched the dolphin and sea lion show, ogled at some aquatic creatures and enjoyed the view from a ferris wheel.
I like taking cable cars, I don't have a fear of heights and the strong winds that sway the cabin don't bother me. This certain feeling of calmness embraces you and makes you feel invincible. Being so high up in the sky amidst the clouds with the cool February breeze cushions you far far away from reality. Even for a few minutes, you feel like you can conquer anything and nothing and nobody can harm your already bruised soul. It was refreshing, in every sense of the word.
I like taking cable cars, I don't have a fear of heights and the strong winds that sway the cabin don't bother me. This certain feeling of calmness embraces you and makes you feel invincible. Being so high up in the sky amidst the clouds with the cool February breeze cushions you far far away from reality. Even for a few minutes, you feel like you can conquer anything and nothing and nobody can harm your already bruised soul. It was refreshing, in every sense of the word.
It was almost dusk when we were on the ferris wheel, by then the wind was really cold. My hands were freezing so I did not take any more pictures from above. It was a short ride less than 8 minutes but the view of the harbour and the sea was panoramicly fantastic.
It was already dark when we took the cable car back down. It hits different when darkness and the biting cold envelopes you. You adjust your vision to the pitch black with just the faraway bright lights of the attractions of Ocean Park flickering in the distance.
A serene almost eerie sentiment creeps up but mind you, it wasn't fear, at all. Just some nagging thoughts of heading back to reality.
A serene almost eerie sentiment creeps up but mind you, it wasn't fear, at all. Just some nagging thoughts of heading back to reality.
No comments:
Post a Comment