Saturday, May 13, 2006

Beauty and Madness
I woke up this morning to the sound of the howling winds smashing against my window. The gloomy skies, the intermittent rain from the storm "Caloy" casting a chilly air all over Metro Manila. A welcome respite from the summer heat, this pleasantly wet, cuddly weather.

After an early lunch, I tinkered and tweaked this new template for my blog. I want to keep it clean and simple with emphasis on the content not on the design. Not that I post about heavy, relevant social issues but still ... You know what I mean.

After a really cold shower because I don't have a water heater, it was time to head over to Gateway Mall in Cubao. A Teriyaki Boy dinner had me and my sister full to the brim before we made our way to the Araneta Coliseum. Just in time for the Fra Lippo Lippi concert. It featured just one member, Per Sorensen of the Norwegian duo who were quite famous in the 80s. They named their band after an Italian monk, a character in a Robert Browning poem.

Light and Shade

He started his repertoire with the hit "The Distance between Us" dressed in an all black outfit. His voice still sounding the same as it did almost 20 years ago. His band was composed of local session musicians, one tall Norwegian guitar player, an American keyboard player and two local back up singers. He sang a total of 17 songs, among them their well known hits such as "Later", "Everytime I see you", "Angel", "Light and Shade", "Shouldn't have to be like that" and "Beauty and Madness". Their success as a band stems from their simple lyrics and catchy melodies. Their songs are timeless. If you grew up in the 80s you can easily identify with their whimsical songs. The concert was quite pleasant, the 'mature' crowd responded enthusiastically to his performance, his songs brought back fond memories. A raging stormy night notwithstanding, it was worth every single cent if only to go back in time when life was rather fancy free. No rising gasoline prices, no cellphones, no Internet to distract our short attention span. Yes, the good old days! =)


"Later"
How could you come with me
when you knew all along that you had to go
How could you watch me sleep so close to you
pretending not to know
How could you memorize my name
and forget who I am
How could you think you're still the same
believing I can

It's too late to start pretending
It's too late for a new beginning
Later than the sunset, later than the rain
Later than never to love you again

How could you ask for more with an innocent smile
trusting me to stay
How could you close the door and leave me here
supposing I'm ok
How could you break down my disguise
and uncover my fears
How could you look into my eyes
ignoring my tears

No comments: