Friday, March 23, 2012

Have keys, will enter

I have my own set of keys to everything. Keys to this apartment, the condo unit, my parents' house, the 2 cars (even though I don't know how to drive) even to the cabinets/book shelves/closets/drawers of pieces of furniture found in different places. So I can easily access these places, vehicles if need be. This trait is something I inherited from my dad. He always makes sure, we have spare keys to everything that can be locked.

So coming from that background and with that frame of mind, I certainly don't get it when people don't have their own keys. I mean hey it's fine with me if you weren't trained that way BUT for the love of peaceful early mornings don't shout at the top of your voice for your partner to unlock the gate.

Sleeping is one of my fave things to do. But I'm a very light sleeper. The bark of a dog, the roaring engine of a tricyle/jeep, people's loud voices even though they are just walking by - anything can trigger me to wake up in an instant.

Naturally someone shouting at the gate for her husband to wake up and unlock the gate would get me in a really foul mood. Is it right to disturb people from their precious sleep at 4:30 in the morning? If you knew you would be coming in late, won't it be practical to bring your own key? Why are people so full of themselves and don't care if their inconsiderate behavior will cause a disturbance?

Being subjected to her incessant shouting, I wanted to wake up D and tell him to go downstairs and unlock the gate for her. Yet I remembered that D being the very cautious person that he is, he once told me (yes this has occurred several times before and always courtesy of the crazy people who live in the 4th apartment) we cannot really trust people. What if she wasn't really living there and just wanted to enter then harm anyone who lets her in? You never know and you can't be too careful.

He told me then to just 'try' to go back to sleep. That is easier for him to say since he can sleep at the drop of a hat or in this case the moment his head hits the pillows. For me, I would toss and turn. My mind would wander off into random thoughts which would keep me more awake. I would get all riled up at the rudeness of their actions. It would take me forever to calm down and invite sleep back into my conscience.

Then before you know it, the sun is already shining. A new day has begun. I need to get up even though I lack sleep. I'm in a bad mood. I'm pissed off. That's how my Lenten Friday started today. A day when Metro Manila scorched at 34.7 degree Celsius, hottest recorded this year. Hot (headed) indeed!

4 comments:

Kayni said...

i'm a light sleeper too, and like you, my mind seems to get busy once i hit the bed. it takes a long time for me to sleep, so if someone inconsiderate (like your neighbor) disturbs my slumber, i'd surely be in a foul mood like you.

take a nap today if you can.

Photo Cache said...

i'm sure anyone would start the day hot headed with all the shouting in the wee hours of the morning.

btw, i was at the nursery last weekend and found a daphne plant/shrub. it has the most wonderful scent. i didn't know until last year that daphne was a flower.

D@phneL@ur@ said...

Kayni I've learned that taking naps would only make me less prone to falling asleep at nights, so I try to avoid them.

Why is it that our minds tend to wander towards thoughts/worries instead of towards sleep once we hit the pillows? Perhaps it is too quiet, we can actually hear ourselves think?

I just answered my own question. :D

D@phneL@ur@ said...

Oh wow PhotoCache, I've never even seen a Daphne flower although I know it is a plant. Glad to know its scent is wonderful, thanks for the info! :D