Wednesday, June 07, 2006

An interesting article
My BFF* emailed me this article about Dubai.
Pepe Escobar is a Brazilian writer/contributor for the Asian Times, a publication based in HongKong.
It is a long diatribe but a fascinating read nonetheless.
He nailed it with his apt description about life in the UAE.
A place I called home for 6 years. (1995 - 2001).
I admit I do miss my lifestyle in Dubai.
But at the same time, I am saddened to read about the way it is developing into a rather faux society.
I figure you know what I mean by that.
I am more of a traditionalist.
I firmly believe a place can progress and strive in these modern times without losing its rich cultural and historical identity.

Dubai: The Capital of Globalism
Dubai will soon boast the world's tallest building, the largest hotel, the largest this and the largest that. It's well on its way to becoming the first modern Arab metropolis, but in this triumph for globalization, the whole glittering facade is supported by an underclass of "invisible" foreign workers with no rights. - Pepe Escobar.

*BFF - Best Friend Forever

No comments: