Monday, October 16, 2006

Bedside reading
The Spanish Film Festival has ended its run for this year. I saw a total of 9 films. It was a great experience!

Now I have a 'mission' - to finish reading this book before next month. Iwo Jima I bought it for only P30.00 last year during the National Book Store warehouse sale. The author, James Bradley is the son of one of the 6 flag raisers immortalized in that famous photograph taken at Iwo Jima. He has a very descriptive way of writing and is very detail oriented. It is a well researched book. He painstakingly traces the lives of the 6 flagraisers during the Depression era to the time they are drafted into the Marine Corps. This eventually leads to that important moment in history when they raised the American flag on a tiny island called Iwo Jima . From the few pages I have read so far the book is quite engrossing.

The movie adapted from the book is directed by Clint Eastwood, stars a solid cast of young actors and it is produced by Steven Speilberg. It is scheduled to open in theaters here in the Philippines, sometime next month. I am looking forward to it but I do want to finish reading the book first, all 356 pages of it.

Now kindly excuse me as I bury my nose within its pages.

No comments: