Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Traditional saying
Most of us are familiar with this old wedding saying.
Something old, something new
Something borrowed, something blue
And a silver sixpence in her shoe.

I did a search for it and here's the history behind these famous lines. Each item in this poem represents a good-luck token for the bride. If she carries all of them on her wedding day, her marriage will be happy.

"Something old" symbolizes continuity with the bride's family and the past.
"Something new" means optimism and hope for the bride's new life ahead.
"Something borrowed" is usually an item from a happily married friend or family member, whose good fortune in marriage is supposed to carry over to the new bride.
As for the colorful item, "blue" has been connected to weddings for centuries. In ancient Rome, brides wore blue to symbolize love, modesty, and fidelity. Christianity has long dressed the Virgin Mary in blue, so purity was associated with the color. Before the late 19th century, blue was a popular color for wedding gowns, as evidenced in proverbs like, "Marry in blue, lover be true."
A sixpence is a coin that was minted in Britain from 1551 to 1967. It was made of silver and worth six pennies. So this wedding tradition is definitely English, and many sources say that it began in the Victorian era. A silver sixpence in the bride's shoe represents wealth and financial security. It may date back to a Scottish custom of a groom putting a silver coin under his foot for good luck. For optimum fortune, the sixpence should be in the left shoe. These days, a dime or a copper penny is sometimes substituted, and many companies sell keepsake sixpences for weddings.


As for me, well I haven't really put my head around it just yet with everything else that needs to be arranged before the big day. But if you ask me here's my (goofy) take on this saying:
Something old - that would be me at age 39! I guess I am way over the marrying age of 18. Although I heard lately in the news that that Church or some organization want to raise it to 21. They think that at 18 years of age, couples are too young, not yet emotionally mature and don't have means to support themselves. Therefore they end up living with the parents, all cramped together in some tiny apartment. This fuels a cohabitation existence where they depend on their family to provide everything for them. Free rent, free from paying utility bills, free use of household items, even get free chow since they don't 'have' to cook and no privacy!
Hmmm good point I guess but in our Asian society, there is no thing as being completely cut off from family once we reach 18, 21 or heck even 39. This is a good thing though I'm not disputing that fact. Oh dear, I digressed let's go back to the goofy part shall we?

Something new - I figure that would be my off white formal evening gown I am masquerading as a wedding gown. It isn't a traditional sparkling white wedding gown made of heavy fabric like duchess or shantung. No veil to cover my face and no long train to step on either. I can probably count the number of beads on the bodice of the evening gown. What is important for me is that I actually have something to wear instead of showing up in a white bed sheet wrapped around my petite frame. I can't pull off the statuesque Greek goddess look ala Angelina Jolie even in my dreams!

Something borrowed - I wanted to borrow my mother's pearl set but she told me it was bad luck to wear pearls on a wedding day. Something about it being the shape of tears so I might end up crying my eyes out instead of living in marital bliss. In the leaflet listing the norms for weddings I got from the Shrine, the guests must strictly follow the required dress code.
For ladies: attire must be with sleeves and a decent length;
sheer fabrics must be sufficiently lined.
For Gentlemen: t-shirt and denim pants are not allowed
Required Dress Code for Secondary Sponsors it must be with sleeves.
For Entourage Ladies: if wearing "tube" or spaghetti strap, must put on shawl.
My sister isn't married but I intend to just borrow her dangling silver earrings. I wonder if dangling earrings are allowed. The norms didn't mention anything about earrings, dangling or otherwise.


Something blue - well blue is my motif. From the invitations, the misalette to the color of the dress of my only entourage (my dear sister who acts as my wedding coordinator, my maid of honor, my secondary sponsor - in short dakilang alalay!) If I fail to find appropriate wedding shoes, I intend to just wear my favorite blue stiletto heels I bought in Singapore over a decade ago.




This is the first time I heard of the silver six pence part. Does a silver heart shaped cage arrhae with 13 pieces of coins inside count? I don't know how I will be able to walk properly if I had a silver six pence stuck in the left foot of my blue stilletto heels pictured above!

No comments: