Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Curry Wurst

Last Saturday, we did the usual rounds of cemeteries to visit our dearly departed relatives. Our first stop was at the Loyola Memorial Park in Sucat, Paranaque. Since parking is a major problem, we usually drop off my parents near the entrance which is close to where my Lola is buried. While I was helping my parents carry things out of the trunk, I noticed there was a stall selling German sausages near by. A big sign with all their products was prominently displayed and I noticed they had currywurst!

I remember fondly when my sister and I were in Berlin way back in 2001, we ate currywurst all the time. We ate it for lunch, snacks, and dinner. We usually bought them at those little stalls with wheels parked at corners along major streets in Berlin. We ate them every single day, we were there. We ate them like it was going to be wiped out of the face of the earth in a couple of hours. We really gobbled it up. The sausages are grilled to perfection with its skin nice and crispy. Then it is cut up into small pieces and topped with the correct blend of curry mixed with ketchup. It was really delicious.

So when I told my sister they were selling currywurst at that stall, we couldn't contain our excitement. We were anxious to find a parking space as fast as possible so we could once again savor our Berlin delight. Luckily, we found parking at the mausoleum section of Loyola and walked all the way to the entrance. I told her we should drop by the tombstone first to say our prayers before we avail of the much missed currywurst.

When we finally got there, the lady told us they had run out of currywurst! Oh no ... no ... noooooo! Apparently it was such a big hit, it was sold out by 7 in the morning. We were truly disappointed. It was such a big letdown. I wonder when I will be able to taste and savor currywurst, again.

No comments: