Thursday, November 05, 2009

Curry, anyone?

After having a string of fish dishes for our meals, I decided it was time to get some protein into our system. So I cooked beef curry.

It is fairly easy to cook. Boil some water to tenderize the beef (I used beef brisket cut into tiny cubes). I usually do this procedure first since it can take several hours for the beef to be soft. That's why I am amazed when I watch cooking shows and their beef is instantly tender for consumption. It takes me forever to make my beef as tender as possible. I don't like struggling with my fork and knife to cut meat. Heh!

A few hours later, I sauteed onions and garlic in melted Dari Creme (lite) then added the beef along with chopped bell peppers, carrots and potatoes. Pour some water to let the veggies simmer for a few minutes. Once cooked, lower the heat to blend in the curry paste and constantly mix all the ingredients till the sauce thickens. At this point, you can add more water if you want more sauce and season it to taste. Although frankly the mix itself is already flavorful so I do not season it, anymore.

The secret ingredient here is the instant curry sauce mix. I use Japanese curry (mild). It was one of my sister's pasalubongs when she last visited. Basically it is curry paste which is conveniently packed in a box. One box contains 4 medium sized squares. I don't like the curry flavor to overwhelm my dish so I just use about 3 tablespoons of the paste. I can make 2 dishes from one square of the box. It also states that you can use lamb, shrimps, chicken, pork or beef for your dish. Japanese curry tend to be milder in terms of its spicy flavor and it doesn't have that thick, heavy scent from the Indian variety of curry.

Here's a picture of the finished product. Kindly excuse the presentation but that's leftovers from our dinner, last night. =)

No comments: