Saturday, November 20, 2010

Balinese Fun

Watching this week's Amazing Race Asia where the racers stormed through Bali in Indonesia brought back fond memories of my visit, way back in 1997. During that time, my parents and I were living in Dubai while my sister was based in Singapore. She told me she won some prize to stay at a Bali hotel for free so voila I hopped on the first plane to share this good fortune with her. I believe it was summer time when my sister and I set foot in Bali after a short plane ride from Jakarta.

My first impression upon landing is how a certain sense of peaceful tranquility envelops you like a warm hug. Life seemed to move at a slower pace. The people were very friendly and always smiling. The place was like a sort of nirvana where you can just forget all your troubles.

We were treated like royalty because apparently the prize included a 4D3N stay at a 5 star hotel in the exclusive enclave known as Nusa Dua, a chauffeur and tour guide at our disposal and a Bali High yacht tour of the coastline!

GOA GAJAH (ELEPHANT CAVE) TEMPLE

Indonesia---4


When the cave was first unearthed, its entrance’s upper part was mistakenly believed to resemble an elephant trunk. Goa Gajah is a temple inside a cave. This temple is believed as the center for yoga and meditation during Hindu-Buddhism era. A ganesha statue reflects a Buddhism side, while its Ciwa statue portrays the Hinduisms counterpart. On the west corner of this cave lays Buddha and Harito statues. Goa Gajah temple is surrounded by green rice fields along the River Petanu.

PURA LINGSAR

Indonesia---1


On the island of Lombok, o­ne of the best-known tourist attractions is Pura Lingsar Temple. Located at the north end of the beach at Ampenan, Pura Lingsar is also Lombok's most important religious site.

Visitors to Pura Lingsar are expected to wear a sash or sarong to enter the temple. If you forget, there will be vendors outside happy to rent you appropriate clothing. You can also explore the temple's outer buildings without any special dress requirements. The northern, elevated part of the temple is the Hindu section, while the Wektu Telu worship in the southern section.


TANAH LOT

tanah lot


When it comes to sacred sea temple sites, Tanah Lot, o­ne of Bali’s most popular tourist destinations, hits you like a tidal wave. A small, rocky island just off the southwest coast of Bali and about 20 kilometers from the Balinese capital of Denpasar, Tanah Lot was, and continues to be, formed by the ocean tide. Roughly translated, Tanah Lot means ‘land floating in the sea’. Locally, the island is also referred to as Tanah Let, which means ‘ancient land’, and Tanah Lod, which means ‘land to the south’.
*** Relevant information in italics were taken from several websites ***

13 years ago I set foot in Bali and till this day I credit it as the perfect place to heal a broken heart. 1997 was not a good year for me. I was deeply troubled after I chalked yet another failed relationship under my belt. So embarking on a wonderful Balinese adventure with my favorite person in the world was the best panacea for my torn soul and I will forever cherish those moments! =)

No comments: