Monday, February 14, 2011

Definition of Love


I've always been a hopeful romantic tinged with a dash of sarcasm and a sprinkle of cynicism.

You all know, I was single for the longest time. By single, I mean I wasn't married. I did have relationships (short and long term), some casual encounters and a few flings here and there. Even though it took a very long time to find my partner in life, I wasn't the type of person who would bank my degree of happiness upon the lanky shoulders of a guy. I was happily coursing through my very blessed life and didn't take love, too seriously. Until I reached my 30s but that's another story!

I was thankful when I did have someone. Yet I was also content being by my lonesome self. Numerous valentine days have come and gone and I didn't feel any special rush or obligation to go out and celebrate February 14. I believe that love should be spread all year round. Not just one specific date. It can be any day of the year. Not necessarily on the day of hearts or monthsary or wedding anniversary.

It doesn't have to be a fancy candle lit dinner. It can be in a tiny corner of a fast food resto. Flowers tend to crumble and fade after 3 days. I remember a long time ago when my then boytoy friend gave me 1 dozen roses I hated carrying it around, I told him to hold it during the entire date. Tokens of appreciation are not necessary but of course they are welcomed. And hopefully they are functional gifts. I swear I have a whole shoe box of 'not useful' gifts I've received through the years. I haven't found the courage to throw them away, just yet.

The whole point of my blog entry is that it is the small things that count. In our almost 3 years of marriage, I've learned to never have any expectations. That whenever I expect to be surprised, I am not. Yet when I least expect it I am truly surprised and it overwhelms me with awe. So if I was asked to define love/romance in my present state of mind, I would quote a phrase from the lyrical words of Madonna. She sang "Cherish is the word I use to remind me of your love".

No comments: