Wednesday, September 07, 2011

A decade of extreme lows and ultimate highs

Today marks my 10th year of being back home here in jolly old Pinas. Funny how one whole decade can fly by so fast!

I distinctly remember how heartbroken I was when we left Dubai, UAE. The last assignment post of my dad who had to retire at the mandatory age of 65. I was so overwhelmed with grief that I started crying buckets of tears during the entire flight. It was very embarrassing yet I couldn't control my sadness.

For the few first weeks back home, I was so depressed. I wasn't used to the tropical climate. I didn't have the energy to make myself presentable. I felt like everything was at a standstill. In short, I was miserable.

Three years down the road, I wasn't able to sustain my long distance relationship so I gave up on it. Long distance phone calls took a heavy toll on my expenses. Not to mention the airfare(s) that burned a deep hole in my much abused credit card! I figure the only good thing about that whole LDR was the increase in my frequent flyer miles. Due to those points, the whole family was able to travel to Bangkok, Thailand with a side trip to Singapore sometime in 2004.

I believe that 2005 was a turning point for me. I stopped feeling sorry for myself. I decided to take better care of my psyche and my body. I also developed a positive attitude. I turned 37 that year with nary a hint of a love life but I was quite content in my spinsterhood. :D

The saying 'the best things in life happen when you least expect them' (or something to that effect) is quite applicable to yours truly. In 2007, I 'reconnected' with D. We first corresponded through text messages and emails before he finally decided to meet for real. Yeah, I admit it took him such a long time to decide I was this close to giving up on him. :P

The next chapter of my life commenced on May 15, 2008 when we were united in the sacrament of matrimony. 3 years of marital bliss and we still act like newlyweds. Naturally, there are an equal share of highs and lows but we strive on together. After all, life would be pretty boring without any challenges that strengthen our determination to face the numerous battles ahead.

So yes, it has been quite a journey. But I am thankful that my parents are in good health. My sister is doing well in her career. My marriage is striving on the right path. Here's to more blessed years! =)

No comments: