Monday, May 01, 2017

Visita Iglesia 2017 (Part 1)

This year Maundy Thursday was last April 13, 2017.  Time for the annual visit to churches to reflect on the 14 Stations of the Cross.  This year, D suggested we start early so we could go to several churches before we attend the 5 P.M (the washing of the feet) mass.

The traditionalist in me was hesitant for the sole reason that the visit should be after the Holy Eucharist has been transferred to the adoration chapels for the vigil which usually occurs between the hours of 7 P.M to midnight. But I adhered so we shove off at around 9 o'clock that very sunny morning.

Our first stop was the Santo Domingo Church. D is quite familiar with this place of worship because it is adjacent to Angelicum school where his niece studied her elementary levels several decades ago when she still lived with him.

Santo Domingo Church

Our Lady of La Naval, Sto. Domingo Church

Then it was time to head to my alma mater, The University of Santo Tomas and specifically the UST Chapel or the Santisimo Rosario Parish. Back in my college days, I was not a socially active student, I mean I didn't join any orgs, it was pretty routine for me to study then go home for the whole four years I was at UST. But it was nice to go back and show D around my alma mater although a lot has changed,  I notice there is much development and it made me proud to be a Thomasian.

Santisimo Rosario Parish, UST

Adoration Chapel

Outdoor Stations of the Cross


Main building, UST

Our 3rd church was the Basilica Menor de San Sebastian near Quiapo. It is famed for its Gothic Revival architecture and was completed in 1891. An imposing structure located deep within a bustling Manila district that is typically crowded with people, peddlers and pedicabs. A calming and serene sanctuary amidst the chaotic environs of our nation's capital.

Stained Glass 

antiquated pulpit


Main altar

Facade of San Sebastian

Stations of the Cross

I admit I'm not familiar navigating the streets in Manila but luckily D knows his way around so he took charge of mapping our itinerary. We were heading towards the Adriatico area when we passed by a nondescript church. It turns out it was the Ermita Church which is formally known as the Archdiocesan Shrine of Our Lady of Guidance. The Parish Church of the Nuestra Senora de Guia is the home of the oldest Marian image in the Philippines. 

Ermita Church

Main altar

Adoration Chapel

Stations of the Cross

a small plaza in front of the Ermita Church with a
 Castrillo sculpture of Our Lady of Guidance



Entrance to Ermita Church

3 comments:

Photo Cache said...

I was traveling during the Holy Week; I didn't really get to do Holy Week this year.

D@phneL@ur@ said...

Yes I saw your posts on FB your fab vacay in Morocco and Lisbon, Portugal! :)

SADLOVE said...

I didn't really get to do Holy Week this year.


** goldenslot mobile**
** สล็อต ออนไลน์ ได้ เงิน จริง**