Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Pampanga: Guagua & Bacolor

So despite all my apprehensions and the stress from last minute bookings, we shoved off at 4:40 AM early Monday morning, May 21, 2018.

Mindanao Ave - entry of NLEX - 45 pesos toll fee

Pampanga holds a special place in our hearts as my mother and D's father hail from this province albeit from different towns. I believe we still have relatives there but haven't kept in touch as it has been decades since we all got together.

I know there are many beautiful churches in Pampanga but foremost on my list and made part of our itinerary were the Betis Church and the one in Bacolor which is my mother's hometown.

NLEX (San Fernando Exit) - 124 pesos toll fee

Just a few minutes before 6 A.M, we reached the St. James the Apostle Parish Church aka the Betis Church in Guagua. Just in time for the 6 o'clock morning mass and it turns out it was in the Kapampangan dialect. I don't speak nor understand a single word of this dialect but the celebration of the Holy Eucharist is universal and I know it was a good sign, we started our long road trip by hearing mass.








About 8 minutes drive from Guagua, we reached Bacolor which is my mother's hometown. This town along with several towns in Pampanga was devastated from the eruption of Mount Pinatubo in June 1991. Its main church, the San Guillermo Parish still stands erect albeit it is half buried in lahar. Only the top most portion of the Baroque style edifice and its belfry is visible now.

Nowadays, they use the upper portion of the parish and it has been converted into a full blown church. My mom's father tomb was located behind the church but the entire cemetery was also buried under the ash and lava flow from the mighty volcanic wrath of Mount Pinatubo. So I think they merely light candles in remembrance of those buried in that cemetery.




Unfortunately, the church along with the nearby archives and museum was closed when we got there. Several years ago, my parents, sister and I were able to visit its interiors and I remember it still retained its colonial grandeur.










No comments: