Friday, October 25, 2019

March 22, 2019: Museum of Fine Arts (Part 3)

In the short two hours, we had to explore as much as we could. Now looking back on our visit, there are two art works which are my favorite, among all the masterpieces, we saw.

(1)  Carlos "Botong" Francisco's "Filipino Struggles Through History"
In the old Senate Session hall, there are a series of large panels which showcases several important events in our history. The historical snippets are vivid, colorful and very detailed. No wonder, his last masterpiece (completed a few months before his death) was declared a National Cultural Treasure. Housed inside the august old Session Hall whose design is an architectural feat, the murals are well lighted, and very pleasing to the eyes. Since it was commissioned, the paintings went through a lot and this article narrates its saga.









(2) Leonardo Cruz: 28 paintings depicting Jose Rizal's "Noli Me Tangere"
Okay, I read Noli Me Tangere when I was in high school, years ago. I believe it was required so my interest was perfunctory. 

My high school days were tough. We had just returned back home. I couldn't and didn't speak Tagalog so I was an oddity. I was supposed to be enrolled in first year high school, but for some reason I was put in Grade 7. I failed my Filipino subject so my parents had to hire a tutor for my shortcomings. Ooops, sorry I got sidetracked. I have no idea why posting about Rizal's novel brought me back to a dark chapter in my life. 

Years later, I end up marrying a History professor who also teaches Rizal courses so I can always ask him anything about our National Hero. Lucky me! This is why I was so mesmerized with Cruz's paintings. His vision of the characters added so much clarity to my murky memory of the "Noli Me Tangere".








We only had 2 hours to explore the National Museum of Fine Arts, but we covered a lot of galleries. Manong guard was right. There were some halls colder than others but it was more or less tolerable. Cool enough to enjoy touring without sweating. 

Entrance is free.
Closed on Mondays.
Opening hours: 10:00 A.M - 5:00 P.M. 
Nearby museums: National Museum of Natural History, National Museum of Anthropology. 

No comments: