Thursday, November 07, 2019

Envy: One of the seven deadly sins

I am still editing my numerous pictures so let me take a break from it.

The other day, an item on the news said that there are a lot more young people who are now suffering from depression. The number is a staggering 1 million people. But there are only about 100,000 psychologists in the Philippines so some of them don't get the necessary help. While others choose to deal with it on their own and worse some don't want to admit they are having mental problems due to the unwanted stigma.

Then a young woman was interviewed and she said that envy or being jealous of other people's lives is one of her causes for feeling sad. 

I agree with her because on the various social media platforms - most if not all, would post pictures taken during their vacations, local or abroad or they tend to display through pictures their physical assets. By physical in this sense, I mean their prized possessions like branded hand bags, expensive clothes, jewelries, cars etc.

For someone who does post a lot of pictures of both my domestic and overseas travel and also the places where we dine out, I have this to say:
I don't do it to boast, nor be arrogant. I like to share it with whoever will see it. I also wan't to keep a 'public' record of my travels to serve as a reminder of the memories I made through those experiences. 

On the other hand, I also follow some celebrities on Instagram. Mostly for ogling purposes and also for the gossip, yes I admit tsismosa ako. But, never ever have I  been jealous of their success. I know they are celebrities so they earn much more.

Okay then let me go to seeing travel pictures of my own friends (both in real life as well as the ones on social media), I never ever get jealous! In fact, I am very happy for them. They enrich themselves by adding pleasant experiences to their memory warehouse. 

Alright so my point is yes envy is a sin. But we are only human so we are most certainly vulnerable to getting jealous. It is how we handle this dreadful feeling that defines who we are, as a person.

Don't get me wrong. I also understand that depression or being depressed is very difficult. You feel trapped. Your soul hurts. Nothing works. It is very scary. 

Me, I turn to prayers. I talk to God. Sometimes, I cry. A lot. I believe it has not gotten too severe that I need to seek medical help. But I am assured that there are many people out there who can help. Both medically and personally.

I also hope that people who are depressed, who feel like they cannot take it anymore. That they know they are not alone and help is just a phone call or text message away. 

I am done rambling. Just wanted to get my view about this very sensitive subject matter, out there.

2 comments:

Kayni said...

I'm also tsismosa. I started following Bea Alonzo because of the whole Gerald and Julia issue, then I started following Barretto because of the Barretto issue. You're not alone lol.

I also post a lot of my travel photos, but that's how my family share photos as my family lives in different states/countries.

D@phneL@ur@ said...

I know, me too! I only installed Instagram on my cellphone for stalking celebrities and being updated on tsismis LOL

There is nothing wrong with posting travel photos but then some people do get envious and they cannot handle their feelings of inadequacy or sadness over the 'better' lives of other people.