Wednesday, April 01, 2020

Mount Samat: Shrine of Valour

September 26, 2019: After we checked out from Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar (overnight staycation), we headed to Mount Samat in Pilar, Bataan.


Backgrounder: When D said he wanted to go to Las Casas for his advanced birthday treat, I googled local attractions within its vicinity. My search revealed museums and small markers signifying the importance of the place during WW2. Plus Mount Samat, a 545 meter mountain which was the site of one of the bloodiest battles in our history.

In early 1942, Allied Forces (American troops) fought the Japanese Imperial Army in the Battle of Bataan. I absorbed all information with gusto - the Shrine of Valour, its Memorial Cross, its museum + the zigzagging road to reach it.

Then I got afraid: can our 23 year old classic sedan survive the steep climb? For days, I kept hounding D, pestering him about it. I would also flip flop on whether we should include Mount Samat in our itinerary, at all. He studied the terrain, the mechanics of the gears for steep climbs and he reassured me it is very feasible. I was ecstatic yet still apprehensive. 

After a quick lunch at some roadside eatery which served okay food at cheap prices, we followed the sign leading us to the Memorial Park. At first, we were on the national highway,  a well cemented two lanes road. Once we turned left, the paved road was within a densely forested area, we encountered a small slopes here + few sharp curves there. We reached some steep climbs, my knuckles were white from holding very tight. I got dizzy looking at the numerous zigzag patterns on Waze so I switched my phone off. I was too nervous and held my breath the entire time as I felt the sharp turns, the steepness of the climb.

At some point towards the final stretch, our car was making noises I've never heard before, but she (yes, our car is a female) shouldered on. When I saw the white gate, the checkpoint at the entrance, I finally let go of my firm hold. We were praising our little car, when we parked I literally kissed its dashboard from relief. My anxiety level was at its highest but we made it to the top. Yoohoo!!!!



It was around 2:20 PM, a very bright, sunny and warm Thursday afternoon. There were SUVs and our tiny car was the 3rd one present at the parking slot. I had my umbrella, my portable fan, my cooling towel. I was ready for another climb, this time on foot.
    Path to the base of the Cross
Look at those rocks! Quite difficult to step on and walk.
A daunting 448 steps zigzagging footpath which is said to be made of rocks from Corregidor, stained by Japanese blood. It felt like cobblestones and it was rough on my ballet flats, I had to stop several times to catch my breath even as the view from up there was quite literally breathtakingly panoramic. Two people in their 50s, drenched in sweat,  yet in high spirits finally made it to the top. =)



We stopped a bit to catch our breath and take in the view. The Memorial Cross is 95 meters tall with the Cross arms at 30 meters wide. At the base of the Cross, an 11 meter tall sculptural slabs designed by National Artist Napoleon Abueva depicting some scenes from our rich historical past.

Artist Napoleon Abueva's design


From the base of the Memorial Cross, there is an elevator to take you to the viewing gallery situated in the arms of the Cross. There is a row of chairs in the middle and from the small windows you can see a panoramic view of the entire Bataan peninsula. 








We spent about 10 minutes there then it was time to return to the cobblestone like pathway yet again in the blazing sun. Our target was to explore the marble colonnade designed by Lorenzo Castillo. An open space which includes two bronze urns, the altar of Valour and three panels of large stained glass windows designed by Ceno Rivera. 







2 comments:

Kayni said...

The area is so green and peaceful and it looks like there are no other visitors there. I'd love to visit Bataan in the future.

D@phneL@ur@ said...

Yes there were very few visitors, that time. Probably because it is a steep climb to reach it. Or it was off peak season. I am just glad we got the chance to see such an important memorial for the second World War's fallen soldiers.