Monday, May 22, 2006

Nostalgia
It is defined by the dictionary as "a wistful or excessively sentimental yearning for return to or of some past period or irrecoverable condition".
There I was flipping TV channels and came across a CNN news item reporting the recently concluded Eurovision singing contest.
This year, it was held in Athens, Greece with Finland winning top honors.
I fondly remember this battle of the bands contest held every year in different cities across Europe. So I go check their official website.
Much to my amazement I discover that the songs I'm still familiar with were dated 1979 (Gali Atari & Milk and Honey's "Halleluja" - Israel); 1980 (Johnny Logan's "What's another year?" - Ireland) and 1981 (Bucks Fizz "Making your mind up" - UK).
That's like 27 years ago. Wow, that's just mind boggling!!!
I still vividly remember all the frenzy leading up to the final night. Back then countries like Ukraine, Macedonia were still part of the Soviet Union. While Cyprus and Turkey weren't part of Europe yet.
Hey, I'm not *that* old I was just 11 years old in 1979, ok?
But boy this is like a flashback into my now distant past.

Oh next month, the soccer World Cup kicks off in Germany.
Yes I was a huge soccer fan, back then. I collected all the cards of the players for my special scrapbook and pasted them by team, by category and by country. Now I barely know the players. Let alone which team qualified, which categories are they grouped in. Of course I can always rely on the Internet for information but somehow it just doesn't seem the same.

Oh well.
I'll just hum "Halleluja" out loud and smile. =)

No comments: