Wednesday, April 11, 2007

THE MOVIE MEME c/o Snglguy
1. Name a movie that you have seen more than 10 times.
I normally don't like to repeat a movie. I mean if I saw it over 10 years ago I might watch it again just to refresh my memory. The movie I've watched several times is "Memphis Belle" but I doubt it was more than 10 times.


2. Name a movie that you've seen multiple times in the theater.
"The Last Samurai" - I saw it twice.


3. Name an actor that would make you more inclined to see a movie.
I would have to say Johnny Depp until I realized that I haven't really seen most of his films especially those obscure ones which got limited release. So I'd go with Edward Burns who I adore. I guess something about being an Irish Catholic guy with ordinary angst and who uses the *F* word in every sentence appeals to me.


4. Name an actor that would make you less likely to see a movie.
Rob Schneider - a film with him in it is major IfeelsicktomystomachIwouldbarfalldaylong situation.


5. Name a movie that you can and do quote from.
"Memphis Belle" - ask my sister I would quotes lines from this film even if it was totally irrelevant to the conversation.

6. Name a movie musical that you know all of the lyrics to all of the songs.
"The Phantom of the Opera" - I loved both the musical and the film by Joel Schumacher.


7. Name a movie that you have been known to sing along with.
"Moulin Rouge"


8. Name a movie that you would recommend everyone see.
"Everything is Illuminated" is the movie adaptation of a novel by Jonathan Safran Foer. It stars Elijah Wood. It is quirky, funny and an uplifting film about a young man's search for his Ukrainian roots.


9. Name a movie that you own
Too many to mention but to name one - "V for Vendetta"


10. Name an actor that launched his/her entertainment career in another medium but who has surprised you with his/her acting chops.
Harry Connick, Jr., who is known for his contemporary jazzy blues songs. But he has also appeared in some movies where he was a romantic lead ("Hope Floats") , part of an ensemble cast ("Memphis Belle") or a creepy character ("Copycat")


11. Have you ever seen a movie in a drive-in?
No


12. Ever made out in a movie?
Oh please, hands off, ok? I go to the cinema to see a movie not to get all hot and bothered.

13. Name a movie that you keep meaning to see but just haven’t yet gotten around to it.
"Running with Scissors"


14. Ever walked out of a movie?
Yes, I walked out totally disgusted by David Cronenberg's "Crash"


15. Name a movie that made you cry in the theater.
"Love Actually" that part where Mark shows up at Juliet's door step with those cue cards where he confesses his love for her, then smiles with relief and says "Enough" to signify the end of his obsession with her. Now that made me cry buckets because at that time I was really down and that scene mirrored some depressing drama in my life.


16. What’s the last movie you saw in the theater?
"The Groomsmen" - Edward Burns baby!


17. What’s your favorite/preferred genre of movie?
Sometimes, I like watching foreign movies to add some variety in my viewing habits to de-sanitize myself from the standard Hollywood issued films.


18. What’s the first movie you remember seeing in the theater?
"Benji" - that cute little doggy.

19. What movie do you wish you had never seen?
"Solaris" with George Clooney. Major sci-fi snore fest.

20. What is the weirdest movie you enjoyed?
A Japanese film I caught at last year's CineManila titled "Starfish Hotel". It was bizarre with tones of Alice in Wonderland interspersed within its dark murky plot. But I enjoyed it and practically forced my best friend to watch it. When it finally opened in Tokyo and he saw it, we totally dissected the film to bits and pieces, discussing it to death like it was an assignment in school.

21. What is the scariest movie you've seen?
I would be the last person on earth you will drag to see a horror movie but I rented "Saw" from the video store one night and actually appreciated it for being a psychological thriller rather than simply a gore fest with bloody limbs being cut off by a chainsaw bearing serial killer or zombies roaming the earth.


22. What is the funniest movie you've seen?
"Seres Queridos" ("Only Human"). A film I saw during the 2006 Spanish film festival at Greenbelt. An interesting glimpse into the life of a Spanish interracial couple. The whole film unfolds on the evening when Leni who is Jewish introduces her fiance, Rafi (a Palestinian) to her family. It was so hilarious, I laughed so much my tummy started to ache and I had tears in my eyes.

No comments: