Friday, February 24, 2012

Me? Fat?

I came across this funny picture on Facebook and it inspired me to talk about my weight.

In my 43rd year, I believe this is the 'fattest' I've ever been. Everyone seems to agree as I'm constantly hounded with statements like "Wow, Daph ang taba mo na!" or "Mukhang hiyang sa yo ang buhay may asawa ha, malusog ka!".

Remarks which could be offensive but unfortunately are very correct. I've observed it is mostly Filipinos who blurt out these sentences as some form of salutatory greeting. In all the years that I've lived aboard, it was only my Pinoy friends who would allude to my weight as opposed to my foreigner friends who never even mentioned anything remotely close to my weight gain or weight loss, for that matter.

Maybe because back then, I still had a waistline that didn't surpass the days of the calendar?

I don't think so.

I figure it has to be with being polite, with trying not to offend people's sensitivities and/or they just accepted me for my pleasing personality and didn't judge me on my weight.

I've also noticed that once I hit my 4th decade, it got really difficult to keep the weight off. Slow metabolism is to blame. A sedentary lifestyle is another. An unbalanced diet is another culprit. And so on and so forth. There are numerous reasons, really.

Lastly, even though I'm now at my fattest, it is also strangely enough a period in my life where I'm my most happiest.

So there! I wholeheartedly concur with Garfield and sticking to his story too!

4 comments:

Photo Cache said...

i hear you sister. i share the same weight issues.

Kayni said...

i have the same experience about my Filipino family and friends here. they're the only ones that blurt out how fat i am or how big i have gotten. it's the first comment that comes our of their mouth instead of hello or how are you.

what i love hearing there is that you're happy and that's most important.

D@phneL@ur@ said...

@Photo Cache yes women and our never ending issues with our weight :D

D@phneL@ur@ said...

@Kayni tsk tsk bat kaya ganoon tayong mga Filipino no?

Yes I'm happy thank you very much :)