Friday, September 14, 2012

Tis the season to be humpty dumpty

Another reason why I like the month of September is the start of the new season of my fave TV shows.

There are TV shows which I've been following faithfully since its inception.  Grey's Anatomy is the medical drama peppered with doctors, residents and interns who lead very interesting lives in and out of the hospital they work in. It has provided me with helpful medical information. I sometimes believe I turn into a hypochondriac just by viewing its episodes.  

Survivor is the mother of all reality shows. It depicts how castaways survive in a remote island without the bare essentials.  I like the synergy among the castaways who bicker, back stab and just about do anything to win the one million dollars. For its 25th season, Survivor is on some remote island here in the Philippines so that should be interesting to watch.

Parenthood is about the Braverman family. Their ups and downs, their joys and sorrows are highlighted weekly. It has a good ensemble cast composed of veteran TV stars among them Peter Krause (6 Feet Under),  Lauren Graham (Gilmore Girls) and Craig T. Nelson (Coach).

When it comes to the 'singing' contests, I tune in to The Voice. I like how the contestants are chosen based on their God given talent (singing voice) than their looks or personalities. I like the mentors who really go out of their way to train and guide their team during the live performances.

There are some TV shows, I caught mid season. Yet once I read all their previous episodes, I'm now hooked on them.  I like the sarcastic sly humor I get from the 30 minute episodes of  Nurse Jackie.  It is very shocking how irreverent the episodes of Shameless are but I can't stop tuning in each week to see what the dysfunctional Gallagher family is up to.  It is just too bad I still have to wait until next year for that.

I wasn't particular keen on Mad Men when it first came out in 2007.  I thought it was too Americana for my taste. I wasn't too familiar with the advertising industry except for the sometimes annoying TV commercials they bombard  viewers with on a daily basis.  But my sister kept hankering me to watch it so I gave in to her demands.   Now we discuss every detail of this show on Skype. Though it seems we would have to wait for next year for Season 6 to find out Don's answer to "Are you alone?".

I actually have no good reason why I watch Sons of Anarchy.  A show about biker dudes in a small town who are into drugs, guns smuggling and other illegal stuff.  Last year,  I was channel surfing one night, caught an episode and thereafter tuned in every week.  Maybe it is the bad boy vibe that appeals to me.

So yes it's couch potato time!  Bring it on, I'm ready.

2 comments:

Photo Cache said...

I'm such a tv fanatic. My hubby was just telling, er complaining that we are watching way too much tv. And it's summer!

Now that the fall season is upon us, I'm really psyched. As a matter of fact we decided to stop our Netflix subscription so we can focus more on our tv viewing. We are pathetetic aren't we?

I haven't seen one single Survivor show, but I already set our DVR for this year's Survivor bec of 2 things: 1) it's in PI 2) Jeff Kent, who is a former baseball player from SF Giants is competing. He is one of the best players that played the game and I love him.

D@phneL@ur@ said...

There is nothing wrong with being a TV fanatic :D

Oh alright I'll be on the look out for him. I have no interest in baseball. But since you mentioned he is one of the best players I will take your word for it. Hope he doesn't come across as a threat and ergo gets voted off early in the game. :D