Saturday, December 09, 2017

Rizal Shrine Museum, Fort Santiago

The last time I visited this museum was nine years ago. We are newly wed and  the hubby was my tour guide because he teaches "The Life and Works of Rizal" and can probably teach it with his eyes closed.

This time he served as the tour guide with running commentary to his niece and her fiance who were curious to learn more about our national hero, Dr. Jose Rizal.  

The museum seems smaller as certain sections were being renovated but it was still a nice (re)visit as it was cooler inside the air conditioned premises. A welcome break from the scorching sun and uncomfortable humidity, outside.




As I was reading the tableaux with the information about Rizal's life, this middle aged woman came near me and was talking loudly to her companion and told her 'ito Tita mga anak ni Rizal, marami siya mga anak'.  

I was aghast and couldn't control myself I had to say something to correct this misinformation. I told her 'hindi po mga anak ni Rizal mga yan, marami po siyang mga kapatid hindi mga anak'. She goes 'ah ganoon ba? Ohh Tita mga kapatid pala niya ito hindi mga anak'

I don't know if she was ignorant or perhaps wasn't listening to her teachers when she was in school but misinformation is like fake news and it shouldn't be tolerated, condoned nor justified, at all.























2 comments:

Photo Cache said...

This is in bucket list, believe it or not. I've always wanted to learn more about Rizal, more that the text books did not cover.

D@phneL@ur@ said...

I do believe it, it is a good thing to have on one's bucket list. ;)