Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Taipei: a food haven

As mentioned in one of my previous posts, sister dearest and I prefer food trips than shopping whenever we travel. Our taste buds take precedence over retail therapy. We usually (but not always) book hotels that offer breakfasts so we have full tummies for our sightseeing.

Buffet breakast at Taipei Fullerton South Hotel


Clam soup in clear broth
Taiwan has a distinct cuisine that is renowned worldwide. It is quite different from the typical Chinese food. Not too sweet, nor too salty or too spicy. Since I was watching my weight, I found the food just right as it won't spike my blood sugar, my blood pressure and my cholesterol levels.

Actually, compared to Filipino food, it can be quite bland. But don't get me wrong, it was delicious either way. There are always condiments available so you can adjust it to your taste. I reckon they are more health conscious there.

Hence less sugar, less salt but still big on taste and flavors, probably with the use of spices which I'm not too familiar with. Taiwan caters to all types of cuisines and palate. There are international chains of restaurants as well as local eateries. You won't run out of choices.

 
Taiwan is specifically known for its bubble tea, beef noodles soup, stinky tofu, beef pepper buns, and ba pu (taiwanese style ice cream) among others as well as the famous Din Tai Fung restaurant.

There are long lines at all the Din Tai Fung branches in Taiwan. Expect waiting time of 30 - 45 minutes during lunch and dinner time, sometimes even longer. It is also one of my fave eateries here in Manila.

Usual fare at DTF


Grilled mushrooms with black pepper

Night markets are major tourist attractions in Taiwan. Rows of stalls selling cheap affordable wide variety of street food abound. These food stalls are clean so no worries about getting tummy aches or food poisoning. It can get pretty crowded so be prepared to sweat and remember they only accept CASH payments. We visited the Shilin and Raohe night markets and also strolled at the famous Ximending shopping area.


Some of the street foods I liked are the oyster with misua soups. It has a distinct vinegary taste (not too sour), has oysters (another variety had innards) and the soft misua noodles. Some were soupy while others were thick but quite flavorful.

Songshan Ciyou Temple near
Raohe Night Market
I  also acquired a taste for the Taiwanese ice cream called ba pu. A thin 'lumpia' wrapper with shaved peanut brittle, cilantro, and three small scoops of vanilla, taro and lemon ice cream. You eat it like a burrito, it was delish and quite refreshing during those warm, humid July evenings. Sorry I don't have a picture because I had to eat it right away before it melted. LOL
oyster with misua


 
Big fan of hot pot dinners because I feel and I may be wrong that it is healthier. Boiled food is better than fried, oil laden meals. I love how fresh the meats, the seafood and the veggies were in the ones we ate at in Taiwan. It is better to reserve a slot so you are guaranteed a table. I wish we had more time to explore more hot pot restaurants in Taipei. There is always a next time! :D

No comments: