Saturday, August 04, 2012

Mind over Matter

In the spirit of overthinking, I notice that most of the time, I think faster than I can write and/or talk.
Case in point, I discover I would type/write the wrong word when I am composing a blog entry. But in my mind, I know it is correct. It is only upon reading my draft that I notice the discrepancy. Strange thing is even if I read it over and over again, I still see the correct words in my subconscious. Then several days later when I go over my entries, I notice glaring mistakes.


This characteristic is also prominent when I talk. In my hurry to say something, I would start to mumble words. Sometimes D would ask me to repeat myself as I would mumble incomprehensibly. It is worst when I speak in Tagalog as I have an issue with conjugation. But this stems from the fact that I only started speaking our language when I first set foot in high school, 25 years ago.


It is an embarrassing trait, honestly. I come across as dumb. A bad speller. Or worse a user of bad grammar. Not good for someone whose habit is to point out glaring grammatical mistakes in newspapers, TV and everywhere else, then edit it out loud. I just get a kick out of it. In fact, everyone in my family does it. It runs in my genes. My father wrote for the Free Press. My sister works as an editor and has several publications under her belt. Me, I blog. Does that count? :D


Is it just me or does this happen to you as well? I meant the thinking faster than you write/talk scenario. Not the 'editing' everything in sight deal. Well, if you are prone to both then I'm in good company.


I think.

2 comments:

duds said...

happens to me a lot!

D@phneL@ur@ said...

Yay another kindred spirit! :D